How to Identify an Ice Dam
Besides knowing what an ice dam looks like, how do you know if you have an ice dam? Here are a few warning signs to help you identify an ice dam (or a likely ice dam problem):
1. You have icicles of any shape or size along the edge of your roof and/or gutters.
2. You have water dripping down OR ice forming on the exterior surface of your home.
3. Ice has developed along the overhangs of your roof, or your gutters are filled with ice.
4. You have icicles forming or water dripping from the underside of your roof (i.e. the soffits).
5. Any water penetrating the interior of your home (i.e., walls, ceilings, and/or windowsills) is a sure sign of an ice dam wreaking havoc.